Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Recording of the Acoustic Album is Finished!

The Lava Lamp (Acoustic) album is almost completely done! I have finished recording all of the songs, and most of the artwork is for the cover is complete. If you'd like to hear a rough cut of the music, you can listen to the entire album on the sidebar player. If you go to reverbnation.com/willlawton (or just click the wah-wah pedal) you can see read all of the lyrics as well. I am still refining the mastering so some of the volume/pan/effects of the tracks will be touched up (think DMB's Lilleywhite Sessions vs. Busted Stuff) .

For as much as I built this album up in my head, recording was surprisingly easy. I guess I've been performing most of these songs for a fewyears. Of course, I wrote and recorded, "Wild and Free" from 1:30 to 3:30AM on a Saturday. So, the acoustic version you hear of it is basically the first time the song was played. I like to record songs as I write them because I can capture the feel of the song even if I don't have all of the lyrics/chords, yet.

"Southern Groove" is also a completely new song on the album. I have been kicking around the idea of having a good southern fried funk song on the album with a cool harmonica part and a slide guitar for quite a while. I actually wrote the hook for SG a few months ago, and forgot it. We were headed out to see a movie, and I didn't record a rough track of it - just like that it was gone. This was pretty upsetting for me because I hadn't written a line of music in two years. At the time Cyndi implied it sounded like crap and didn't really understand why I was brandishing a frying pan and screaming like a lunatic, but she only heard what I was actually playing which was far worse than what I was attempting to play;) The night my sister went into labor, it came back. Being that I was in a great mood, I wanted to write about what makes me happy . . . This happened at about 11:00PM while Cyndi was sleeping downstairs (getting up at 5 to go to work.) I wasn't going to screw up and forget this one without recording it first. So, I recorded a couple guitar parts as quietly as I could. I stumbled on the a cool guitar lick for the verses and that was all she wrote.

I'll be sure to let you all know when/where the album will be available for purchase. I will only be making 100 CD's of the acoustic album to start out as I have to save money for the little Funker in my wife's belly.

You have my gratitude,
Lawtonious Funk

1 comment:

Agent Orange said...

"and didn't really understand why I was brandishing a frying pan and screaming like a lunatic"

LOL.....I understand my friend. Go get your 5th of Vodka and some James Bond to cure your ails.

Oh yeah, and that Wah-Wah peddle is pretty nice. you should pay the guy who designed that graphic or somethin!